Keeping the farm running involves a variety of work and volunteers play a vital role in making our farm a beautiful, productive and welcoming space for the community. We are grateful for the commitment and contributions everyone has made.
Volunteering on the farm is a great way to get outside, meet people and learn new skills. Spending time on the farm can also be therapeutic, a welcome break from the stresses of the city.
Most volunteers help with practical activities but we also sometimes have office based volunteering roles available. Here are our main volunteering roles:
- Opening and Closing the Farm: Every morning and evening for 30-45 minutes. Tasks include feeding the chickens, mucking out, turning on the aquaponics system and watering.
- General Farm Hand – Mucking out animals, gardening, weeding, site maintenance, cleaning, set up for events, general DIY. This role ranges in experience and time requirement so we ask that as you look through the tasks, you would find a few that best fit you and your schedule! (Minimum commitment of 8 hours per week.)
- Saturday Support – helping to open up to the public, introducing visitors to the animals, leading craft/planting/gardening activities. (Minimum commitment of one Saturday per month.)
- Administrative: Helping with specific administrative roles such as monitoring sales, produce stock, social media, research, and design work (indoor activity).
- Supporting children and other visiting groups. We regularly have school groups visiting the farm and this role involves supporting the facilitator in these sessions.
- Trained Mindfulness Practitioner – Would you like to run a Monday Morning Mindfulness programme on the farm to local residents and those on their way to work? Contact us at oasisfarmwaterloo.org.
If you are an organisation interested in volunteering as a group, please see our Volunteering for Organisations page.
A DBS check is needed if your role involves supporting or working alongside children and vulnerable adults on the farm. A DBS check is not needed for opening and closing and the general farm hand.
How to start volunteering
If you are interested in coming to volunteer, please contact us to arrange for a visit and an induction. Before your visit, you will be asked to fill out our volunteer application form.